Share
Go down
avatar
Admin
Posts : 62
Join date : 2018-07-25
Age : 18
View user profilehttp://rjdc.forumotion.asia

Understanding Computer Files

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:48 pm
Your memory is a monster; you forget - it doesn't. It simply files things away.
It keeps things for you, or hides things from you - and summons them to your recall with a will of its own.
You think you have a memory; but it has you!

ㅡ John Irving


Random Access Memory is volatile, temporary storage. When you write a program that stores a value in a variable, you are using temporary storage; the value you store is lost when the program ends or the
computer loses power.

Permanent, nonvolatile storage, on the other hand, is not lost when a computer loses power. When you write a program and save it to a disk, you are using a permanent storage device. Permanent storage can be a hard drive on your computer or a hard drive on the cloud that you access remotely through the Internet. Other examples include such media as DVDs, USB drives that you insert and remove from your computer, and tape libraries and optical jukeboxes that are accessed by robotic arms.

A computer file is a collection of data stored on a nonvolatile device in a computer system.
The two broad categories of files are:


  • Text files , which contain data that can be read in a text editor because the data has been
    encoded using a scheme such as ASCII or Unicode.
  • Binary files , which contain data that has not been encoded as text. Examples include
    images and music.


Although their contents vary, files have many common characteristics, as follows:

  • Each has a name. The name often includes a dot and a file extension that describes the
    type of the file. For example, the extension .txt indicates a plain text file, .dat is a common
    extension for a data file, and .jpg is used as an extension on image files in Joint
    Photographic Experts Group format.
  • Each file has specific times associated with it—for example, its creation time and the time
    it was last modified.
  • Each file occupies space on a section of a storage device; that is, each file has a size. Sizes
    are measured in bytes.


What do you think is the largest amount of byte that is present today?
____________________________________________________________________

Organizing Files



Computer files on a storage device are the electronic equivalent of paper files stored in
file cabinets. Directories and folders are organization units on storage devices;
each can contain multiple files as well as additional directories. The combination of the
disk drive plus the complete hierarchy of directories in which a file resides is its path.

Are you organized with your computer files?
Newbie
Posts : 4
Join date : 2018-08-07
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:16 am
what6 is the difference between RAM and ROM?
avatar
Guru
Posts : 10
Join date : 2018-08-07
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:18 am
What do you think is the largest amount of byte that is present today? Yottabyte Exclamation
avatar
Admin
Posts : 62
Join date : 2018-07-25
Age : 18
View user profilehttp://rjdc.forumotion.asia

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:23 am
judedominguiano wrote:What do you think is the largest amount of byte that is present today? Yottabyte  Exclamation
You're right! Yottabyte is the largest amount of byte that is present today! It will cost you 100 trillion US dollars to produce a Yottabyte. So kung ako sayo bili nalang tayo ng storage card lol.
avatar
Admin
Posts : 62
Join date : 2018-07-25
Age : 18
View user profilehttp://rjdc.forumotion.asia

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:31 am
prljwlldnr wrote:what6 is the difference between RAM and ROM?
RAM is a temporary storage, yun yung pag tinanggal mo yung power sa unit mo, wala na, finish na. Meanwhile, ROM is built-in sa computers, a non-volatile storage, sya naman yung nagsstay sa unit mo even though tanggalin yung power. Very Happy
Posts : 1
Join date : 2018-08-07
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:12 pm
If you use contact cleaner to your ram several times, will it damage your component?
Newbie
Posts : 4
Join date : 2018-08-07
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:18 pm
Admin Rash wrote:
prljwlldnr wrote:what6 is the difference between RAM and ROM?
RAM is a temporary storage, yun yung pag tinanggal mo yung power sa unit mo, wala na, finish na. Meanwhile, ROM is built-in sa computers, a non-volatile storage, sya naman yung nagsstay sa unit mo even though tanggalin yung power. Very Happy

Ok thanks. it helps a lot.
avatar
Admin
Posts : 62
Join date : 2018-07-25
Age : 18
View user profilehttp://rjdc.forumotion.asia

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:32 pm
ndreanicoke wrote:If you use contact cleaner to your ram several times, will it damage your component?
Actually if you use erasers for cleaning your RAM, it will cause static electricity for your RAM. But if you are using contact cleaner for your RAM for a few times, then that's okay.
avatar
Admin
Posts : 62
Join date : 2018-07-25
Age : 18
View user profilehttp://rjdc.forumotion.asia

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:33 pm
prljwlldnr wrote:
Admin Rash wrote:
prljwlldnr wrote:what6 is the difference between RAM and ROM?
RAM is a temporary storage, yun yung pag tinanggal mo yung power sa unit mo, wala na, finish na. Meanwhile, ROM is built-in sa computers, a non-volatile storage, sya naman yung nagsstay sa unit mo even though tanggalin yung power. Very Happy

Ok thanks. it helps a lot.
You're always welcome!
Newbie
Posts : 4
Join date : 2018-08-07
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 pm
ndreanicoke wrote:If you use contact cleaner to your ram several times, will it damage your component?

I think contact cleaner will not damage your ram.
avatar
Admin
Posts : 62
Join date : 2018-07-25
Age : 18
View user profilehttp://rjdc.forumotion.asia

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:45 pm
prljwlldnr wrote:
ndreanicoke wrote:If you use contact cleaner to your ram several times, will it damage your component?

I think contact cleaner will not damage your ram.
Right, moreover. Contact cleaner will actually help you optimize your RAM.
avatar
Guru
Posts : 10
Join date : 2018-08-07
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:02 am
Admin Rash wrote:
judedominguiano wrote:What do you think is the largest amount of byte that is present today? Yottabyte  Exclamation
You're right! Yottabyte is the largest amount of byte that is present today! It will cost you 100 trillion US dollars to produce a Yottabyte. So kung ako sayo bili nalang tayo ng storage card lol.
may tanong ako pag bumili kaya ng yottabyte bawas din yung storage? hehe gano kaya kalaki yung bawas?
avatar
Guru
Posts : 10
Join date : 2018-08-07
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:04 am
ndreanicoke wrote:If you use contact cleaner to your ram several times, will it damage your component?
I think no, because that thing is supposed to clean it not to break it. But oh you said several times, think of this "lahat ng sobra masama".
avatar
Guru
Posts : 10
Join date : 2018-08-07
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:07 am
Admin Rash wrote:
prljwlldnr wrote:
Admin Rash wrote:
prljwlldnr wrote:what6 is the difference between RAM and ROM?
RAM is a temporary storage, yun yung pag tinanggal mo yung power sa unit mo, wala na, finish na. Meanwhile, ROM is built-in sa computers, a non-volatile storage, sya naman yung nagsstay sa unit mo even though tanggalin yung power. Very Happy

Ok thanks. it helps a lot.
You're always welcome!
How does a ram of a PC differ to the ram of modern Cellphone? like you know PCs are big while CP are "cellular", are they're performance still the same?
avatar
Admin
Posts : 62
Join date : 2018-07-25
Age : 18
View user profilehttp://rjdc.forumotion.asia

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 am
judedominguiano wrote:
ndreanicoke wrote:If you use contact cleaner to your ram several times, will it damage your component?
I think no, because that thing is supposed to clean it not to break it. But oh you said several times, think of this "lahat ng sobra masama".
Great Jude! Halos lahat naman ng sobra masama. Kaya kung pinapaliguan mo na ng contact cleaner yung RAM nyo, may possibility na masira nga sya.
avatar
Admin
Posts : 62
Join date : 2018-07-25
Age : 18
View user profilehttp://rjdc.forumotion.asia

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:32 am
judedominguiano wrote:
Admin Rash wrote:
prljwlldnr wrote:
Admin Rash wrote:
prljwlldnr wrote:what6 is the difference between RAM and ROM?
RAM is a temporary storage, yun yung pag tinanggal mo yung power sa unit mo, wala na, finish na. Meanwhile, ROM is built-in sa computers, a non-volatile storage, sya naman yung nagsstay sa unit mo even though tanggalin yung power. Very Happy

Ok thanks. it helps a lot.
You're always welcome!
How does a ram of a PC differ to the  ram of modern Cellphone? like you know PCs are big while CP are "cellular", are they're performance still the same?
I think nagkakaiba lang sila interms of physical appearance, kasi kung gagamitin mo naman yung RAM ng PC sa CP baka malalaki na cellphones ngayon. And take note, naka soldered na yung mga RAMs for CPs. If you want to read more about the differences between the CP's RAM and PC's RAM. Here's the link -----> https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-difference-between-a-phones-RAM-and-a-PCs-RAM
avatar
Guru
Posts : 10
Join date : 2018-08-07
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:47 am
Admin Rash wrote:
judedominguiano wrote:
Admin Rash wrote:
prljwlldnr wrote:
Admin Rash wrote:
prljwlldnr wrote:what6 is the difference between RAM and ROM?
RAM is a temporary storage, yun yung pag tinanggal mo yung power sa unit mo, wala na, finish na. Meanwhile, ROM is built-in sa computers, a non-volatile storage, sya naman yung nagsstay sa unit mo even though tanggalin yung power. Very Happy

Ok thanks. it helps a lot.
You're always welcome!
How does a ram of a PC differ to the  ram of modern Cellphone? like you know PCs are big while CP are "cellular", are they're performance still the same?
I think nagkakaiba lang sila interms of physical appearance, kasi kung gagamitin mo naman yung RAM ng PC sa CP baka malalaki na cellphones ngayon. And take note, naka soldered na yung mga RAMs for CPs. If you want to read more about the differences between the CP's RAM and PC's RAM. Here's the link -----> https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-difference-between-a-phones-RAM-and-a-PCs-RAM
Nice info ma'am.
avatar
Admin
Posts : 62
Join date : 2018-07-25
Age : 18
View user profilehttp://rjdc.forumotion.asia

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:59 am
judedominguiano wrote:
Admin Rash wrote:
judedominguiano wrote:
Admin Rash wrote:
prljwlldnr wrote:
Admin Rash wrote:
prljwlldnr wrote:what6 is the difference between RAM and ROM?
RAM is a temporary storage, yun yung pag tinanggal mo yung power sa unit mo, wala na, finish na. Meanwhile, ROM is built-in sa computers, a non-volatile storage, sya naman yung nagsstay sa unit mo even though tanggalin yung power. Very Happy

Ok thanks. it helps a lot.
You're always welcome!
How does a ram of a PC differ to the  ram of modern Cellphone? like you know PCs are big while CP are "cellular", are they're performance still the same?
I think nagkakaiba lang sila interms of physical appearance, kasi kung gagamitin mo naman yung RAM ng PC sa CP baka malalaki na cellphones ngayon. And take note, naka soldered na yung mga RAMs for CPs. If you want to read more about the differences between the CP's RAM and PC's RAM. Here's the link -----> https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-difference-between-a-phones-RAM-and-a-PCs-RAM
Nice info ma'am.
Nice info for a nice question. Very Happy
Guru
Posts : 10
Join date : 2018-08-09
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:08 pm
Is 1GB really 1000MB or 1024MB?
avatar
Advance Mag-isip
Posts : 29
Join date : 2018-08-06
Age : 18
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:09 pm
Ma’am, kasya po ba ang multiple yottabytes sa isang computer? Let’s say 999 Yottabytes po?

Sent from Topic'it App
avatar
Advance Mag-isip
Posts : 29
Join date : 2018-08-06
Age : 18
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:12 pm
Ma’am, kailan po ba nagiging .dat ang isang file? Pwede po ba kayo makapag-provide ng examples?

Sent from Topic'it App
May Guardian Angel
Posts : 16
Join date : 2018-08-09
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:12 pm
LouiseSebastianeYagi wrote:Ma’am, kasya po ba ang multiple yottabytes sa isang computer? Let’s say 999 Yottabytes po?

Sent from Topic'it App

Kasya un sa tingin ko. Pero d ko sure kung anung itsura ng storage device n nag hohold ng yottabyte.
avatar
Advance Mag-isip
Posts : 29
Join date : 2018-08-06
Age : 18
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm
And ano po yung specific application para mabuksan yung .dat? Kasi diba po kadalasan sa .txt ay notepad.

Sent from Topic'it App
May Guardian Angel
Posts : 16
Join date : 2018-08-09
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm
Luwiezzz wrote:Is 1GB really 1000MB or 1024MB?

Ang alam ko 1000MB na.
May Guardian Angel
Posts : 16
Join date : 2018-08-09
View user profile

Re: Understanding Computer Files

on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:17 pm
LouiseSebastianeYagi wrote:And ano po yung specific application para mabuksan yung .dat? Kasi diba po kadalasan sa .txt ay notepad.

Sent from Topic'it App

Dipende p den sa extension. May iba iba kcng type ng database file.
Sponsored content

Re: Understanding Computer Files

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum